RELEASES
EXPERTS
NOTICIAS EN ESPAñOL
photo services
news staff
BROADCAST
U-M IN THE NEWS RESEARCH NEWS
VP COMMUNICATIONS
Marketing & Design
Tips for faculty
Publications
UNIVERSITY RECORD RECORD UPDATE MICHIGAN TODAY
Social Networks
FACEBOOK TWITTER YOUTUBE MOST EMAILED
 
412 MAYNARD STREET
ANN ARBOR, MI
48109-1399
PHONE: (734)764-7260
FAX: (734) 764-7084

May 12, 2004

Life science campus rises at heart of U-M

ANN ARBOR, Mich—Three pink buildings that have sprung up around the University of Michigan’s central power plant form a new campus-within-a-campus that reflects Michigan’s goals for the life sciences future: research, teaching and collaboration.

Sharing a parking deck and a new public plaza that improves pedestrian access between the Central Campus and the Medical Center, the three buildings are:

• The Life Sciences Institute. A 230,000 square-foot laboratory facility houses a new research unit of the University. The LSI’s labs are the latest in open floor plan design to encourage collaborating and mixing between members of the interdisciplinary faculty and staff. Researchers began moving into the facility in September 2003.

Palmer Commons. A 99,000 square-foot conference and office facility, with food service and a restaurant. The commons is ideal for hosting a scientific symposium, with a lecture hall, banquet facilities and several smaller breakout rooms. Offices for the new Bioinformatics Program will be housed on the first floor. It opened in March 2004.

Undergraduate Science Building. Slated for completion in early 2006, the 140,000 square-foot classroom building will feature lecture halls and teaching laboratories for undergraduate science courses.

A new pedestrian bridge across Washtenaw Avenue makes connections between the Medical Campus and Central Campus easier and safer.   The parking deck below the Undergraduate Science Building will provide 1,000 new spaces when it is fully opened.

Across Huron Street from the Life Sciences complex, the Medical School is also building a 470,000 square-foot laboratory and office facility for its faculty researchers called the Biomedical Sciences Research Building (BSRB). Site work has also begun on a 350,000 square-foot Cardiovascular Health Center in the center of the medical campus, and the School of Public Health is working on a 125,000 square-foot expansion of its laboratories and classrooms on Observatory Street. On North Campus, the College of Engineering is building a 38,000 square-foot Center for Cellular and Molecular Biotechnology.

Links: http://www.lifesciences.umich.edu/lifesciences/facilities.html

            http://lsi.umich.edu

Contact: Karl Leif Bates
Phone: (734) 647-1842
E-mail: batesk@umich.edu